Romans 2: 3-4
"Do you suppose, O man—you who judge those who practice such things and yet do them yourself—that you will escape the judgment of God? 4Or do you presume on the riches of his kindness and forbearance and patience, not knowing that God’s kindness is meant to lead you to repentance?"
At our monthly Women's Bible Study at church, we are reading the book "Peace Making Women". Last night, we talked about extending grace to others just as Christ extended grace to us even in our sinfulness. Grace is proactive- not passive. Grace doesn't give the silent treatment until the person comes and apologizes, it extends kindness to the one that has wronged you right in the moment. That kindness that can only come from God is meant to help lead that person to repentance and help them to be more like Christ.
R. C. Sproul writes, "... the kindness of God is intended to produce sorrow for sin and a turning away from it."
I am guilty as charged for giving my husband the silent treatment until he gets the hint that something is wrong and wants to apologize and talk. Christ reached out to me in my most horrible, sinful state therfore, I must reach out to Andy and extend kindness to him even when I feel I have been wronged. Not only to lead him to repentance and to be more like Christ, but to help me be more like Christ as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment