Monday, March 17, 2008

Cara Grace Hazell

Today, we found out my cousin's (Cynthia) baby (Cara) is no longer squirming and kicking inside her womb. She is at full term, and is due in the next few weeks. She wasnt feeling Cara move lately, so she went in to check up on it, and the Dr. could not get a heart beat. They couldnt see the heart beat in the ultrasound either (which i didnt know that was possible). As I type, she is in Raleigh NC and probably at the hospital being induce for labor. I received the news this afternoon around 4pm. Immediately, I cried my eyes out for about an hour. Now I am in utter shock.

I have to keep reminding myself that God is sovereign and he works ALL things for the good of His people and For His purpose and glory. (Romans 8:28) It is so hard right now to see God's work in this tragic loss. This is Cynthia's first pregnancy and this is the first grandchild in their immediate family. When Tim and Cynthia found out, they went home to grieve with their Pastor and wait for a phone call from the hospital when they change nurses for the evening.

As I thought about this situation, I was reminded of a man who was a huge influence on my theology... John Piper. Back in September, his son went through the same thing with their second child. I searched the Desiring God blog for any encouragement I could offer my family! In my morning quiet time, I am reading John, and last week, I had read chapter 9. Piper shared the same scripture with his family during their hard time...

JOHN 9:1-3
"As he passed by, He saw a man blind from birth. And His disciples asked Him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he would be born blind?" Jesus answered, "It was neither that this man sinned, nor his parents; but it was so that the works of God might be displayed in him."


Another great scripture from Desiring God Blog

1 Corinthians 15:58
"THerefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that your toil is not in vain in the Lord."

And lastly, a quote from John Piper on the blog about his thoughts the night they received the news...

"Noel and I lay in bed at about 3 AM after coming home from the delivery thinking: This seems so preventable. By God and by man. Yes. So easy. But neither man nor God prevented this. Man, because he did not know it was happening. God, because he has his wise and loving reasons that we wait to learn with tears and trust."


Cynthia is a blogger, and has blogged so much about Cara's progress. it is a private blog so you cant see it without permission, but she does read my blog. If you have some encouraging words, or know people that would like to pray for our family and leave encouraging words, please send people to read or post this post on your blog as well. Thanks lifting our sister in Christ up in prayer and encouraging her to see the good work God has done.

I will keep an update as we learn more. Thanks for your thoughts, prayers, and words of encouragement and love.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

We prayed last night that everything would go quickly and with no complications.... I can't imagine the pain of this experience but we pray that the Lord's sovereign grace embraces you warmly through the next days, weeks, months, and years as you mourn and remember this little girl.

Nicole said...

We prayed last night and are praying today that God would give that peace that only He can give, the peace that passes all understanding. I simply cannot imagine how difficult this is! Take comfort in knowing that God formed even Cara's inward parts; He knitted her together in her mother's womb. (Psalm 139:13) We pray He will use this loss in your lives to glorify Himself and draw you and your whole family closer to Him.

Jessica said...

Words are so inadequate to express feelings over a loss like this. I am so sorry and am praying that God's steadfast and unfailing love will hold you close during this season of grief.

Melanie said...

Laura - Molly Piper (Abraham Piper's wife)has been doing a series on her blog about how to comfort a grieving friend. Molly has been writing from her experience after losing Felicity. She's made 10 posts so far and it may help you somehow show some comfort to Cynthia. My cousin lost her little girl in utero as well...the day before her due date. It's a horrible tradgedy and I can relate to how you're feeling. I think the most important thing you can do for Cynthia is to remember Cara.

Anyway, I just figured I'd share Molly's website with you...

http://thepipers.wordpress.com/