Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Relying on Technology

As times have changed and technology has progressed, I have definitely moved (slowly) with the times.  My cell phone is still just a cell phone- i dont email, browse the www, microwave my lunch with it, or use the special pocket knife app to open a box from UPS, BUT i have now started texting!  My sister and I were talking last night about how she meant to call me back, but had misplaced her phone for a brief period of time, but couldn't call me from her work phone because she couldn't find her cell phone to get my number.......are you following me here?  Anyways... I have that problem as well at times!  But this issue is not with cellphones this time.... it is with my computer.  Yes, our lovely computer we were hoping to use for another year (and then ask for all money at christmas to buy a mac) has died here in early 2010.  We were forced to make an early decision on a computer and bought one yesterday.  With that process, we had to buy a backup hard drive to get all our pictures and other documents from the computer (in safe mode).  I asked Andy if he would connect it to the internet one last time so I could get my favorite websites written down to bookmark on the new computer.  Needless to say, it is so completely dead that it will not function without being in safe mode and the computer will not pull up the internet..... so this morning I have been sitting here for an hour trying to remember all my favorite websites and blogs...... google searching them because I dont know the actual address for them, creating a blog and laura's websites file, and saving them.  There are many that I cant remember, but hopefully in the next couple of days i will have a desire to see a website and remember that it is loved!  If all this information had been stored on lovely paper in a filing cabinet, it would still be there.  I do still keep a paper day planner (the myagenda).... I haven't moved on to a yahoo calendar yet.

Yes, I love technology (... not as much as you you see... name that movie), but there are times like this when I long for the old paper address, phone, information book to help provide information when our good ole technology has failed us!  So since my pictures are now on a hard drive, it will be a few days before we figure out a new computer system, upload some of those pictures to the new macbook, and get them posted to this blog!

If you have a favorite website you like to visit, feel free to share the love!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what you need? An iGoogle page with Google reader on it. I have a homepage that has gmail, facebook, twitter, google reader, cnn, weather, foxnews, espn, all in one spot. And I can access it from anywhere I get on the web. That way all my blogs are in my reader and I don't have to remember the bookmarks. They just feed into an inbox of sorts when there's a new post.
It takes a little bit of time to set up, but it saves me a ton of time in the long run!
Anyway, just a recommendation...play around with it and see what you think!

Laura and Andy said...

i tried to start one of those, but I could never figure out how to personalize it by adding things that arent already on there...... like blogs. I have movies, sports, news, and a bunch of stuff I dont care about and the page is super duper crowded and overwhelming! maybe we can sit down and sort it out sometime?